|On par with Masi and Cinelli in the realm of Italian frame builders from the 60's and 70's era. Early frames are extremely rare and valuable, though at this point in time no vintage De Rosa can be considered undesirable by collectors and enthusiasts of vintage cycling.
Italian Faema Pro Cycle Team was the first to ride DeRosa made Road Bikes.
Other Teams from the 1960s who rode De Rosa cycles include the Tbac Team and
Max Majer Team. In 1973, the Molteni Cycle Team and its world famous cyclist
Eddie Merckx rode De Rosa Bikes. DeRosa bicycles are now one of the highest rated
and highest profile producers of Road Cycles and have remained a fixture
amongst the Pro Cycle Circuit ever since.
|Founded by Ugo De Rosa in the late 1950's (59 or 60 most likely). Company founder Ugo De Rosa was born on January 27, 1934 in Milan, Italy. Before becoming a noted bicycle frame builder, he was also an amateur racer.
De Rosa's passion for racing led him to study mechanics and
engineering at a technical college, and in the early 1950s he opened
his first shop and commenced the manufacture of racing bicycles. In
1958 he was asked by the famous cyclist Raphael Geminiani to build him a bike for the upcoming Giro d'Italia. Following on from this initial interest, De Rosa bikes became a fixture in the professional peloton of the 1960s. The Faema team was the first team to ride De Rosa frames. Other De Rosa teams of the decade included Tbac (1964) and Max Majer (1967).
In 1969 De Rosa was approached by Gianni Mota,
who wanted to engage De Rosa as his frame builder and mechanic. De Rosa
accepted and became the bicycle supplier to Motta's team as well. It
was during this period that one of the greatest stars of cycling was
rising - Eddy Merckx.
DeRosa built some frames for Merckx around this time, but it was not
until 1973 that their relationship was formalized and De Rosa became
the official frame builder and mechanic for the Molteni team which he captained. Merckx and his teammates won nearly all the major European races including the Tour de France, the Giro d'Italia, Milan - San Remo and the World Championship. This partnership with Molteni remained in
effect until Merckx's retirement in 1978. In 1981 De Rosa worked as
technical consultant to Merckx, who began his own bicycle manufacturing
In 1974 Francesco Moser engaged De Rosa for his Filotex team, and went on to win the World Championship. Later, in 1982 De Rosa sponsored the Sammontana team led by Moreno Argentin and Giovanbattista Baronchelli. From 1985 to 1989 De Rosa worked with the Ariostea team - a small start-up team which would later become dominant in European racing.
Demand for De Rosa bicycles from new markets skyrocketed in the 1980s - including the US, Russia, Japan, Belgium, and Germany. Subsequently, De Rosa's company outgrew the small work shop adjacent to his home, and moved to a larger space in Cusano Milanino.
Later, his three sons entered the business, with Danilo and Doriano
assisting in production management, and Cristiano taking over the
commercial side of the business.
In 1990 Ugo De Rosa began research and development in titanium tubing, culminating in a new model, the De Rosa Titanio, used by the Gewiss team in 1994. Aluminum and carbo fiber
frames were added to the product line in 1996 and 2000 respectively. In
2005 De Rosa launched its Corum frame, a lightweight steel frame built
using contemporary frame building techniques.
On December 10, 2007, it was announced that the UCI Continental
team, Team LPR would be riding De Rosa bicycles for the upcoming
season. UCI Continental team Rock Racing rode De Rosa bicycles up until the end of 2008.
- source: Wikipedia