Adapted from the Zéfal website:
In 1880, the French company Poutrait-Morin (which later became ZEFAL) began to manufacture bicycle accessories, including foot rests, brake calipers, and lantern brackets. Later, with the invention of the pneumatic tire tube, Poutrait-Morin developed the Presta valve (also known as the Sclaverand valve or French valve) and began to manufacture bicycle pumps.
In the 1950’s aluminum pumps were introduced and rapidly gained popularity in the market due to their sturdiness and light weight. Since then, many patents have been registered to improve the efficiency and ease of pumping. In 1972 Zéfal invented the direct-on connection with thumb lock lever and the reversible washer to adapt to the different types of valves.
In the 1980’s Zéfal was the largest pump manufacturer in the world, producing more than 10 million pumps per year. At that time, Zéfal started to widen its product line to include a selection of innovative water bottles, bottle holders, racks, and mudguards. Worldwide partnerships increased and Zéfal became represented in more than 100 countries.
In the 1990’s, with the MTB boom, Zéfal continued to diversify by launching new maintenance and repair products, mirrors, and bags. Today, Zéfal remains focussed on innovation. In 2008, Zéfal launched a patented keyless locking system for wheels and saddle which received the Gold Award in 2008 Eurobike show.