Articles on
Table of Contents
The History of Jack Taylor
In 1936 Jack Taylor and three friendly members of the Stockton Wheelers Cycling Club started the business as "Bell & Taylor" with lugged brazed frames. It was located in Stockton-On-Tees, England. A little while later the three compaigns left the business due to Jack Taylor's intent to buy some land and to run the business properly (although until 1947 he did not work as a fulltime worker). It is not exactly mentioned when but about this time his younger brothers Ken and Norman began to help Jack in the business.
1940 Frame No. 558 was built
1943 The brand "Jack Taylor" has been registered.
1945 Ken joins the business as the first fulltime worker.
In 1946 his brother Norman follows.
During the year 1950 were built 347 frames.
1951 Jack and his wife Peggy paid their first visit to the Paris Cycle Show, the beginning of a new influence. Number of built frames arrives 2000.
1957 Frame No. 3000
1961 Frame No. 4000
1964 Frame No. 5000
1969 Frame No. 6000
1976 Frame No. 7000
1983 Frame No. 8000
1990 Business closed, last frame is No. 8628
From 1990 until 2001 Norman built another amount of 130 frames.
Source:  Jack Taylor Cycles. Interview with Jack, Peggy and Ken Taylor by Mark Lawrence in May 2008, published in: Bicycle Quarterly Summer 2009

Return to Table of Contents

VeloBase v.2.8.7 - a Fischer Frameworks application, Copyright ¬© (2024) - All rights reserved.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Find the information on useful? Please consider donating a few dollars towards the web-hosting cost. Thank you.